Wednesday 19 April 2017

Drabble Wednesday: Bitter Endings

Today on Drabble Wednesday all things must come to a end... sometimes permanently.




Turnabout and All is Fair


“Sorry my dear, we had fun, but a job is a job.” I raised my gun with a smile, an odd twitch in my hand.
She answered my smile. “I understand, and agree. So I hope you won’t mind what I slipped into your wine. It’s hard to pull a trigger with shaky fingers.”
A cold seizure gripped my gut. A whisper of panic fled my throat. “No.” The gun felt heavy... I couldn’t... “Why?”
“To clear my debt. I kill you, my last employer forgives my botching the previous job. It seems he didn’t like you killing his son.”

~*~





Last Piece

I feel the pain dig into my palm from the broken edges, and the sticky flow of my blood. I don’t let go. I can’t let go. It’s all I have left. A damaged picture frame and torn photo under half-shattered glass.
Unless you count their bodies. Buried in the rubble of our house.
I don’t know why I survived. One person in the carnage. Left in the wreckage of our life, our street, maybe the city. Hell, maybe the world.
I don’t know how far the war extends.
But I’m staying here, where my life ended.
Waiting to die.

~*~




Finite

When the clock winds down, the space between ticks seems infinite. Yet, it’s simply a wish, a hope for more time. We want a cheat, a reprieve, a stay on our execution. One more breath, one more kiss, one more chance at life. We want a another shot at all those regrets, things left undone.
In those last moments, it all seems so precious. We cling to it in desperation, knowing our fate is beyond our control. No one wants to die. No one wants the end of everything.
Now it too late. 
The death of the universe has begun.





© A. F. Stewart 2017 All Rights Reserved






No comments:

Subscribe Now:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monthly Pageviews