Wednesday 8 June 2016

Drabble Wednesday: Shadows

Today on Drabble Wednesday, we settle into the shadows…





Shades of Time

Beyond the ken of reality, I wait. Watching history pass, each moment a raindrop in infinity. I have seen the fall of Rome, a myriad of lovers kiss, the rise of empires, and the death of those whose names are unrecorded, save by me.
My fingers have touched rose petals and dust, my steps have walked through stars and mud. I have reveled in laughter, sorrowed in tears, and listened to my silence echo through centuries. I have lived surrounded by humanity, alone.
Pariah and observer. Recorder of history, never to be part of time.
That has been my punishment.

~*~



Lurking

Tonight, my friend, we talk of creatures, monsters hiding in the night. Things dismissed as stuff and nonsense, no? Perhaps they are more real than imagined.
I see you disagree. You reject them as fanciful tales conjured to scare the unenlightened. But are they? Or is that what we tell ourselves for untroubled slumber?
Such an indulgent smile you have. You believe me a mad, old man. Your incredulity changes nothing. The shadows of the night are alive.
What a deep laugh you have. You do not believe. Ah well, I tried. Still, my friend, do be careful walking home.

~*~



Accidental Encounters

How did I get here?
I’m stumbling in the dark. I can hear people around me, but I can’t see anyone.
I don’t understand.
What happened to me?
It’s hard to think, to remember…
I was driving, wasn’t I? At night. I recall headlights. Another car.
Wait. Is that light?
I run.
I can see the road. And flashing lights, with people.
And my car.
No. My poor car. The front end is smashed, the windshield shattered.
My vision clears. The flashing lights are police vehicles.
I shout. No one seems to hear.
I don’t understand?
What happened to me?




© A. F. Stewart 2016 All Rights Reserved


No comments:

Subscribe Now:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monthly Pageviews