Wednesday 11 May 2016

Drabble Wednesday: Say Hello to the Dead

Today on Drabble Wednesday I explore what happens when the living meet the dead, or undead…




Encounter

The woman stood in the middle of the road, blocking the path of the wagon.
Henry pulled on the reins and slowly halted his buckboard. The woman stared at him.
“Are you hurt? Do you need aid?”
She shook her head. “I knew you once, when you were a baby. I held you in my arms. I’ve never forgotten.”
Henry shivered. “You look familiar, do I know you?”
“Not as you should, that was not to be.” She smiled whispering, “Happy Birthday, Henry.”
And she disappeared.
Shocked, Henry gasped, only then realizing he had spoken with his long dead mother.

~*~




Not In the Job Description

“I got a notice to report to the basement level.” Cindy spoke out loud, bewildered.
“You mean the secret lab?” Fred, her colleague in the neighbouring cubicle answered her, trying to sound ominous and failing.
“Ha, ha, very funny.” She smirked at him, before frowning. “But still, it’s odd.”
“Nah. They probably lost some paperwork. You know lab geeks.”
“I guess so. See you later Fred.” Cindy smiled, and left.
The department boss walked over and leaned against Fred’s desk. “She went, no problems?”
“Yep. No worries on feeding the zombies tonight, boss. I’ll clean out her desk after work.”

~*~




By the Light of the Moon

A woman alone at night is a dangerous thing, I know, but I couldn’t resist a chance to walk along the park trail under a full moon. It’s been ages since I took time to enjoy an evening’s beauty.
And it’s lovely. A big, bright silver moon, surrounded by a cascade of stars, in an indigo and sable sky. The air is crisp, and smells of spring, with the fading hint of fragrant blossoms. Nothing could—oh, dear. Footsteps.
I turn, and sure enough, a man with a knife.
Oh well, I am hungry.
I bare my fangs, and attack.



© A. F. Stewart 2016 All Rights Reserved 


No comments:

Subscribe Now:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monthly Pageviews