Monday 29 April 2013

A Review of Mechanized Masterpieces: A Steampunk Anthology


My Book Review of  Mechanized Masterpieces: A Steampunk Anthology

~
First off I’d like to disclose I have a story in this anthology, and therefore I have a vested interested in this book. So take this review as enthusiastic endorsement for my fellow authors if you will (and perhaps a tiny bit of a shameless promotion).
~

I enjoyed reading the stories in Mechanized Masterpieces: A Steampunk Anthology. I found the book to be an entertaining, diverse gaze through the looking-glass of the steampunk world, filtered through classic literature.

The idea of Mechanized Masterpieces is a re-imaging of classic books by such authors as Charles Dickens, Mary Shelly or Charlotte Bronte, which shifts their worlds and characters into the 19th century strangeness that is steampunk. The stories in the book are clanging, banging, puffing prequels, sequels and reboots, rich in quality and captivation.

There are eight fascinating stories in the anthology, based on the books Jane Eyre, Sense and Sensibilities, David Copperfield, The Little Match Girl, The Phantom of the Opera, A Christmas Carol and Frankenstein. They are enchanting, sometimes steam-twisted tales to delight. I especially liked the story of Micawber and Copperfield, with its shades of Horatio Hornblower (albeit with dirigibles instead of sailing ships) and Tropic of Cancer, which had a dark, looming undertone of foreboding.

Even with my slightly biased opinion, I can recommend Mechanized Masterpieces: A Steampunk Anthology as a great read.

The Book is officially launched on Facebook tomorrow!  Come and join in the fun!

Mechanized Masterpieces: A Steampunk Anthology is available on Amazon (in paperback and for Kindle) and Barnes and Noble (for Nook).


No comments:

Subscribe Now:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monthly Pageviews